Saturday, May 29, 2010

Warm Bodies Need Not Apply

I recently read a great article about positive hiring practices and some of the do’s and don’t’s of hiring.

What it reiterated for me, is the value of multiple interviews, and, reference checks, and I suppose, above all, establishing a procedure for hiring and accepting nothing less, ever, no matter what the circumstances are.

I can’t tell you how many times I have found myself in the scenario where a Manager needs a new employee and rather than do what’s right, and, arguably harder, they want to do what’s easier, which is all too often to hire the guy whose resume happen to come across their desk a couple of days ago.

Now, he’s been called in for a hastily organized interview, and based on that 10 minute meeting, the Manager wants to hire him.

When I ask; “who else has met him?” And the answer I get is; “no one else, but..” I know, here it comes…. I’m too busy, we need someone now, no one else was available, and lots and lots of other justification for why there simply isn’t time to do it right.

It’s ironic to me that even now, there are so many Managers out there who do not see this trap for what it is, and more so, they don’t see how much MORE time it takes to go through all these steps to hire a substandard employee, and then spend hours and days managing their poor performance, which in the meantime may have cost you other employees, and, guests.

It also baffles me how these same Managers don’t see what impact these kind of decisions have on their good employees, the ones who really want to do well, and along the way, support their Manager, but now they see him in a different light, and, they see that mediocre performance is acceptable. NOT a good message to send.

A good hiring platform should always include;

- A full and complete job description for the position you want to fill, which includes your

- Minimum qualifications.

- An established screening process to prioritize resumes submitted for the vacant position.

- A set interview process, involving the hiring Manager, HRD, and in my opinion, the GM.

- A list of questions that are asked of each candidate who you interview.

- At least two reference checks from previous employers.

Lastly, I would emphasize the need for proper follow up with EVERY applicant. There’s nothing that says that the follow up can’t vary depending on your level of interest in the candidate, or not, but respond in some way nonetheless.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s just a proper courtesy, and, and extension of your business, and your business ethics. Candidates are always so appreciative when I follow up with them, regardless of the news. They appreciate that someone took the time to get in touch with them and let them know where they stand.

At the end of the day, isn’t it the way you would want to be treated if the shoe were on the other foot?

No comments:

Post a Comment